How do I refer my child for a speech/language assessment?
- If your child is currently enrolled in school, contact their teacher and they can help you begin the process.
- If your child is currently not enrolled in school, contact the Special Education office at 361-790-2017.
How long will it take for the assessment to be completed and my child to receive services?
- The assessment process can take up to 3 months. After it is completed, an Admission/Review/Dismissal (ARD) committee meeting will be held to determine if services are warranted and when they may begin.
Why does my child qualify for private speech therapy services but not for services in the school setting?
- Eligibility criteria differ between private therapy/hospital settings/school settings. Students in the school system must meet an entirely different set of eligibility criteria in order to qualify for speech therapy services.
What are the eligibility criteria for speech therapy in school?
- Speech or language impairment means a communication disorder, such as stuttering, impaired articulation, a language impairment, or a voice impairment, that adversely affects a child's educational performance.
Concerns from teachers, parents, and other school personnel about articulation, phonology, voice, stuttering, swallowing/feeding, language, and social/interpersonal communication need to be examined in relation to school environments—both academic and nonacademic. Speech/language pathologists evaluate the student's communicative competence as well as the language skills needed to meet curriculum expectations in academics. A student is eligible for speech-language pathology services through IDEA 2004 when s/he exhibits a speech impairment that has an adverse effect on educational performance to the degree that specially designed instruction or related services and supports are needed from the SLP to help the student make progress in the general education curriculum.
- About ACISD
- ACISD Student Handbook / Code of Conduct
- Child Nutrition
- District Calendar
- District and Campus Report Cards
- Dress Code
- Facility Reservations
- Family and Community Engagement
- FITNESSGRAM Information
- Gifted and Talented Program
- Health Services
- Online Textbook Reference
- Release of Directory Information
- School Supply Lists
- School Volunteer Application
- Staff Directory
- Student Enrollment
- Texas Assessment Management System