ACISD Dress Code
Interpretive Authority of Campus Principal/Designee
Proper dress and grooming habits are important in developing a positive pattern of school and social conduct. There is a direct correlation between student appearance and their behavior. The Student Appearance Code is established to teach good grooming and hygiene; to instill discipline and prevent disruption; to avoid safety hazards; and to teach respect for authority. Since it is not possible to anticipate all styles or fads that might be presented, it should not be assumed that an item is appropriate just because it is not mentioned in the Code. The campus principal/designee will rule at his/her discretion on all matters concerning interpretation of the student dress code, including matters not specifically covered in the student dress code.
If the principal/designee determines that a student’s grooming or dress violates the appearance code, the student shall be given the opportunity to correct the problem at school with grooming aids and/or replacement garments on hand or delivered by parents/guardians. If the problem of unacceptable grooming or clothing cannot be immediately corrected, the student may be assigned to In-School Suspension for the remainder of the school day.
Approved Standardized Dress Items: All items must meet the general requirements.
Standardized Dress – General Requirements:
- Clothing should be appropriate for school, clean, and worn as it was designed to be worn. All clothing must fit properly (not too big/loose or too small/tight) and be of an appropriate length and not conducive to the concealment of contraband.
- All clothing must be free of intentional holes. Intentionally ripped, torn, or cut clothing is prohibited.
- Approved standardized dress items must be worn under outerwear at all times.
- Shirts, blouses, (any patterned or solid color collared shirts (polo style) and button down dress shirt), t-shirts and sweater, and dresses are allowed, provided they are not see-through, revealing, and/or exposes a bare midriff when raising arms, standing, bending, or sitting. Bathing suits are prohibited.
- No jerseys are allowed unless the student is participating in an approved ACISD extracurricular activity and directed by a coach to wear the item.
- Shorts must be worn under dresses for outdoor or PE activities.
- Pants, shorts and skirts must be hemmed and appropriately sized to sit at the natural waistline.
- Athletic style shorts may only be worn in PE/athletics, band, cheerleading, or for other activities as approved by the campus principal/designee.(6th-12th grades only)
- Pants with elastic waist bands are allowed in PreK – 5th grade only
- Cargo-style pants/shorts, sweatpants, wind pants/shorts, pants with drawstrings, warm-ups, coveralls, overalls, pajama-style pants, bicycle shorts, and cut-offs are prohibited at all grade levels.
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses with hemlines more than three (3) inches above the knee cap are prohibited.
- Sleeveless tops are prohibited for female and male students. Clothing that is low cut or too tight is also prohibited.
- Sheer and see-through material is prohibited.
- Proper undergarments shall be worn and not visible. Leggings may be worn only under clothing within dress code.
- Articles of clothing and accessories with inappropriate decorations, advertisements, offensive language, pictures, artwork, and language that is deemed to conflict with the standards set forth in the Student Code of Conduct are prohibited. Inappropriate decorations or advertisements include, but are not limited to, those that depict the occult, gang membership, death, suicide, violence, drugs, alcohol, lewd or sexual references, anarchy, gothic attire or skulls. However, Pirate skulls in display of school spirit may be permitted with prior approval of campus principal/designee. Students should avoid shirts with area codes, crowns, profane artists or groups who are known to promote activities in violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and excessively large labels or brands. Campus administration shall make the final determination about appropriate clothing.
- Trench coats, battle dress, camouflage dress, and combat gear are prohibited.
- Hanging straps (suspenders), chains, or wallets with chains are prohibited.
- Hats, caps, hoods, bandanas, or sunglasses are prohibited inside the school building.
- Students in grades PK – 5th are required to wear tennis shoes or other style of secure, closed-toe, non-slip footwear. Shoes must be worn as intended to be worn (i.e., laces must be laced and buckles must be buckled).
- On days students do not have PE, PK – 5th may also wear sandals and boots as long as they are laced, tied, and matching.
- Students in grades 6th – 12th may wear styles that are age appropriate.
- Paramilitary/combat boots, shower shoes, water socks, and shoes with wheels are prohibited at all grade levels.
Student Appearance – General Requirements:
- Hair must be kept clean, well groomed, and out of the student’s face. Hairstyles including Mohawks, symbols, or marks shaved into the hair or eyebrows, or unnatural coloring of the hair is prohibited. Facial hair must be neatly groomed.
- Earrings are allowed, but all other forms of facial or body piercings such as, but not limited to, nose studs, nose rings, tongue rings, gauges, spacers and cylinders are prohibited. Spacers or retainers utilized to prevent piercings from closing are also prohibited.
- Excessive or extreme makeup is prohibited.
- In Grades PK – 5 No Makeup is allowed.
- Excessive jewelry or jewelry worn in a manner offensive to others is prohibited.
- Dental jewelry is prohibited.
- Temporary and permanent tattoos must be covered at all times.
- Contact lenses must be in natural eye colors only.
- Ankle monitors must be covered at all times.
- Students who are members of nationally recognized organizations (i.e., Scouting, NJROTC) may wear the uniform(s) approved by that organization to school if the uniform(s) meets the requirements of the ACISD Appearance Code.
- School activity uniforms are prohibited except for during the activity for which the uniform is designed. In place of their performance uniform, students participating in cheerleading, drill team, sports, and other activities may wear Spirit wind suits on certain days as pre-approved by campus principal/designee.
- The principal, in cooperation with the sponsor, coach, or other person in charge of an extracurricular activity, may regulate the dress and grooming of students who participate in the activity. Students who violate these standards may be removed from the activity or organization for a period determined by the principal or sponsor and may be subject to other disciplinary action.
Co-Curricular/Extracurricular Appearance Code Expectations
The principal, in cooperation with the sponsor, coach, or other person in charge of an extracurricular activity, may regulate the dress and grooming of students who participate in the activity. Students who violate these standards may be removed from the activity or organization for a period determined by the principal or sponsor and may be subject to other disciplinary action.
- About ACISD
- ACISD Student Handbook / Code of Conduct
- Child Nutrition
- District Calendar
- District and Campus Report Cards
- Dress Code
- Facility Reservations
- Family and Community Engagement
- FITNESSGRAM Information
- Gifted and Talented Program
- Health Services
- Online Textbook Reference
- Release of Directory Information
- School Supply Lists
- School Volunteer Application
- Staff Directory
- Student Enrollment
- Texas Assessment Management System