Advanced Placement (AP) Courses and Exams
Many exciting opportunities are offered at RFHS to allow students to obtain an advanced-level education, including Pre-Advanced Placement (PAP) course offerings and Advanced Placement (AP) course offerings.
AP Exams are rigorous, multiple-component tests that are administered at RFHS each May for students who are enrolled in the corresponding AP course. High school students can earn college credit, placement, or both for qualifying AP Exam grades. Each AP Exam has a corresponding AP college course and provides a standardized measure of what students have learned in the AP classroom.
AP Exams are an essential part of the AP course experience, and the results can help students:
- Stand out in the admissions process
- Earn academic scholarships and awards from colleges and universities
- Experience college-level academics now, while they're still in high school
- Save time and money once they get to college, providing them with more study options and allowing them to move directly into upper-level courses in their field of interest
- Earn AP Scholar Awards, an academic distinction granted each September by the College Board to students with exemplary AP Exam grades
What can parents and students do to help ensure success on AP Exams?
- Contact child’s counselor or AP teacher to find out what exams are offered, exam dates, fees, and how AP Exams are developed and scored.
- Find out from AP teachers and/or counselors what should and should not be brought to the exam.
- Use the College Board’s website to get the latest information regarding Advanced Placement information and to access practice tests: http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/apc/Controller.jpf
Rockport-Fulton High School’s Advanced Placement (AP) offerings vary from year-to-year and may include the following:
- AP Literature and Composition (Senior English)
- AP English Language and Composition (Junior English)
- AP Calculus AB
- AP US History
- AP Macroeconomics
- AP US Government and Politics
- AP Computer Science A
- AP Computer Science AB
(Parents or students can contact the counseling department to obtain the current list of course offerings.)
Rockport-Fulton High School’s Pre-Advanced Placement (PAP) offerings vary from year-to-year and may include the following:
- English I PAP
- English II PAP
- Spanish I PAP
- Spanish II PAP
- German PAP
- Algebra II PAP
- Geometry PAP
- Pre-Calculus PAP
- Biology PAP
- Chemistry I PAP
- Physics PAP
- Computer Science 1 PAP
- Computer Science 2 PAP
Please refer to the Course Description Manual on the RFHS website for the specific course offerings.
Rockport-Fulton Middle School offers Pre-Advanced Placement (PAP) Classes
Starting in 7th grade, the Middle School offers PAP classes in the four core areas of English-Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. For more information about the Middle School’s PAP classes, you may contact one of the counselors at 361- 790-2230.